CHECKLISTS RESOURCES WHAT'S FOR DINNER COUPONS MANUFACTURERS
Oatmeal verdict...
posted by kmoor003 8 years ago

Okay, so I keep reading mixed posts on whether oatmeal contains gluten. Should all brands be trusted? I feel like (and I am sure you do too) that I spend so much money on gluten free food options so if I can just buy a standard quaker oatmeal brand or even the grocery store version and save a few bucks, that would be awesome. Please share your thoughts. Tx!

tags:  Oatmeal verdict..., italian bread, txedie, great value quick oats, oats themselves are gluten free but the issue is w

1. posted by: Lightwave   8 years ago

This stuff is never clear, but consider: 1. Oats do not have gluten- at least not the kind that create a problem in celiacs (i.e. corn gluten is fine for us). 2. Question now to ask is if the oats in the oatmeal were processed in a facility that processes wheat or barley (which are our most common problem grains for us). 3. I eat Quaker Oats (maple and brown sugar- yum). I do not suffer symptoms like when I get the wrong thing in a sauce or gravy. I have tried a generic brand oatmeal (called Great Value)and the thunderstorms in my gut started. My guess- pure speculation is that Quaker Oats processes so much in the way of Oats that the little wheat they might process is so limited in any shared facility that it is of no negative consequence to me and my gut. 4. Probably none of the companies will make the gluten free claim for the legal liability that they see with it. Oats do not contain gluten- the meal we get can be cross-contaminated and that's where the problem with oatmeal and oat products lie. Kind Regards- John Holcomb Bedford, TX

2. posted by: Smarshall   8 years ago

You do not want to be eating regular oats like Quaker. Bob's Red Mill produces gluten free oats in old fashioned, quick cooking, and steel cut. Glutenfreeoats.com is another source of gluten free oats grown by a family of generations of celiacs. Another producer of gluten free oats is www.creamhillestates.com. These are only a few of the companies that produce gluten free oats. There are instant options out there now also. The oats produced by these companies are grown in clean fields and never transported with the gluten containing grains.

3. posted by: gf4life   8 years ago

Oats are naturally gluten free but there are concerns of cross-contamination. Play it safe and choose a certified gluten free brand or one that is tested for gluten like Bob's Red Mill. I know these cost more than the generic stuff at the store, but wouldn't you rather be safe than sorry?

4. posted by: coloradomamma   8 years ago

The problem is that oats are grown in close to wheat and processed in the same plants. So it is best to buy gluten free I tried Bob's Gluten free and still had a problem. I just can't eat oats...:(

5. posted by: ncsaylor   8 years ago

I'm on a very tight budget so finding cheaper alternatives on GF products is very important to me. I just discovered that Trader Joe's has a GF Oatmeal that was cheaper than any other brand I found online or in stores. They also have a cheaper GF pasta available, which I purchased but haven't tried to make yet.

6. posted by: hjjoachs    8 years ago

Depends if you have Celiac Disease or not. If you gave Celiac then any gluten will damage the villi in your small intestines even if you don't have symptoms. If have Celiac, have seen the damage in my small intestines, want the damage to heal and not cause colon cancer down the road so I only eat Certified Gluten Free for processed and packaged foods.

7. posted by: girlhuck   8 years ago

I have been to see a registered dietician at a Hy-Vee store in South Dakota, where I live, and have found out that oatmeal can act the same on our intestines as does the rye, barley, and wheat glutens. She said that I should stay entirely away from oats for at least one year (that was 3 years ago) and then try again after one year. She said that if I do not have symptoms, then it is probably fine to eat the oats not processed in facilities with the wheat, rye, and barley. I, however, do have a pretty sensitive gut and have not been able to eat oats as they make me react in the same manner as if I were eating whole wheat bread. I would recommend staying away from the oats if you even think there could be a problem.

8. posted by: TXEdie   7 years ago

I called Quaker Oats and they responded with warnings that their oats might be cross-contaminated because of storage in the warehouses and other proximity problems. Plus, even the fields where the oats are grown can have gluten if wheat was previously grown in the same area. There are reasons why the major companies don't label their oats "gluten-free"! Best bet is to get a "certified gluten-free OAT supplier" -- Fields, storage, processing, etc. are all guaranteed to be gluten-free. Just google "gluten-free oats" and you'll be able to identify several companies -- in stores and/or by mail order.

9. posted by: Zdanr   6 years ago

As a cattle rancher who grows our own wheat and oats, I believe it is impossible to have gluten free oats. The farmer would have to harvest the oats by hand, because most crops are contaminated by at least some wheat from both birds and animals carrying in wheat seeds from other locations and the winds can even blow it in from neighboring fields. In addition, many oat fields have previously grown wheat and there are frequently residual seeds that start growing when the ground is tilled. Oatmeal is one of my favorite foods, but until I am doing exceptionally well, I will not be eating it.

Learn More

Subscribe For Newsletter

Frequently Asked Questions